Sunday 4 December 2011

Les Amours Imaginaires







So I watched 'Heartbeats' (Les Amours Imaginaires) on Film4 the other day. I had wanted to see it for ages and couldn't find the dvd in any uk shops, apart from the Tate Modern giftshop, but it was a bit too expensive. Anyway, I thought it was pretty good. It was definately very visually arresting, and the sets and costumes were great, but I felt there was something missing. The characters were a bit annoying and affected and I found it hard to sympathise with any of them. That may have been because it was in French and perhaps something was lost because I don't speak the language, although I don't think that's the case.

Anyway, I still enjoyed it. My favourite shot was of Marie walking, in slow motion, as Nancy Sinatra's 'Bang Bang' played, and I loved her styling. I guess I would probably recommend the film, although approach it with an open mind: I always think films/albums/exhibitions/books/whatever are ruined when you have the words of a critic ringing in your ears.


Have you seen 'Heartbeats'? What did you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment